Sunday 11 August 2013

The End of Summer

And so summer comes to an end. Oh yes, I know it's only the middle of August, but I've had my holidays and now begin settling in for work once more.

While I was away, I found this at The Bookman in Norwich:

Signed by the man himself!
This is why I maintain my second hand book shop habit! I actually own a more up to date version of this in the British Library publication Jack Vance: Critical Appreciations and a Bibliography but who could resist a document signed by JV himself. Only a tenner, too, which is beer money, really!


While I was away, I also decided to turn my incorrigible instinct for second hand bookshops to evil: I intend to build up my collection of large SF coffee-table art books from the 70s and 80s.

I own a few already, such as The Alien World: The Complete Illusatrated Guide by Steven Eisler and The Tourists' Guide to Transylvania by Count Ignatius de Ludes, no less! I also own Spacecraft 2000 to 2100 AD and Great Space Battles by Steward Cowley, and a few other bits and bobs which I may document here more fully one day.

While I was away I picked up a copy of Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials by Wayne Douglas Barlowe and Ian Summers for a fiver. I longed for this one as a kid so was quite pleased to pick it up. I haven't read most of the books, but it's worth it for the depiction of the Old One on page 68 and 69 that's as precise and clinical as HPL's own description.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.